Fleetwood to be among contenders at Open Championship
SOUTHPORT golfer Tommy Fleetwood will be among the contenders at this year’s Open Championship at Carnoustie where he holds the course record.
The 27-year-old took the record in last year’s Alfred Dunhill Links Championship when he scored a nine under 63.
Jordan Spieth will be defending the title over the Scottish links and the action is due to start tomorrow (Thursday.)
In September 2016 Fleetwood was 188th in the world, and has now risen to number 10. He retained the Abu Dhabi Championship in January. At this year’s US Open he finished second, only a shot behind Brooks Koepka after a final round 63, which equalled the lowest score in the US Open's history.
Fleetwood, who could be seen in the Royal Box during Wimbledon, had a virus when he played in Germany and France, so pulled out of last week’s Scottish Open. Fleetwood told the national media: “I wanted to play the Scottish, because it’s a great tournament on a course I really like; my result there a few years back actually took me to 47th in the world which was the highest I’d been at that point. But I feel this is the best for me.”
His wife, Clare, who is also his manager told the national media: “We’ve been waiting day for day for him to feel fully fit but as he still isn’t, it didn’t make sense for him to try and play this week.”
Fleetwood blamed his missed cut at the French Open, where was defending his title, on his virus.
It is understood that Fleetwood, who currently lies third in the Race to Dubai which he won last year, was practising in Southport last week.
Fleetwood first played in the Open at Royal Liverpool in 2014, and he missed the cut at the 2015 Open at St Andrews and the 2016 event at Royal Troon. He made the cut last year when the tournament was played in his home town of Southport at Royal Birkdale. He ended up finishing 27th.
The winner of The Open picks up £1.89m.