Due to the Coronavirus (covid 19) pandemic, we are ceasing publication of Champion Newspaper titles for the time being. We shall continue to have an important presence online both on our website at champnews.com and on the Champion Newspapers Facebook page, where you can find all your local news and more. Stay Safe!
Arsonist warned that he may face jail

Arsonist warned that he may face jail

by Danielle Thompson (April 2020)

A Bootle man, who set fire to a storage shed belonging to Nandos, has been warned he is at risk of going to jail.

Howard Franey has admitted deliberately starting the blaze at the property in Aintree on June 17 last year and attempting to steal from the storage unit.

The 39-year-old appeared in the dock at Liverpool Crown Court on Tuesday, April 28 but was not sentenced after his lawyer, Anna Duke, asked for a pre-sentence report to be prepared by the probation service.

“I am concerned in relation to his mental health which seems to have deteriorating for some considerable length of time, “ she explained.

Agreeing to her request Judge Brian Cummings QC said, “Mental health is something that always needs to be looked into in a case of arson.”

He told Franey, of Smollett Street, Bootle, that all sentencing options will be open when he returns and pointed out that “the realistic outcomes were immediate or suspended custody. That is neither a promise nor a threat, it is a preliminary observation designed to assist the probation service.”

Franey had pleaded guilty to arson and attempted theft.

Judge Cummings adjourned sentence until May 26, which was the date that Franey had originally been due to stand trial, and renewed his unconditional bail.

 

Search for news

Latest News