THE family of a joiner from Sefton who died from an asbestos-related cancer, have received a £200,000 settlement from his former employer.
To protect his identity we have named the man Paul. He worked at F Parkinson Limited as a joiner in the 1960s and died in 2018 from mesothelioma.
He worked on a variety of sites whilst employed at F Parkinson Limited, including at an army camp at Burtonwood in Warrington. He was tasked with converting old warehouses into accommodation for the American forces. This included putting up ceiling tiles made from asbestos. Paul remembers the tiles being dusty to touch, which would then get on his overalls and in his hair. Some of the tiles required cutting, which caused further dust to be produced.
He also carried out work for F Parkinson Limited at Warrington Borough Council’s civic building. Paul worked in the boiler room at this site, lining the floorboard joists. He used asbestos sheeting which he cut with a circular saw. Cutting the asbestos sheets with a powered saw produced a lot of dust. The cutting was done in a poorly ventilated boiler, and Paul remembered it being a dusty environment.
While employed at F Parkinson Limited, Paul also had to unload lorries that transported the asbestos sheets. The sheets were dusty, and he would be covered in dust. He was not provided with any protective clothing while working at F Parkinson Limited, and he was not informed of the dangers of working with asbestos.
During Christmas 2016, Paul began to notice a cough. In April 2017, he went to the doctors and they suggested for Paul to go to the drop in X-ray facility at Southport Hospital that afternoon. The results showed he had some thickening in his lungs and, in the next month, Paul had 1.5 litres of fluids drained from his lungs. He then had a lung biopsy and in August 2017, the biopsy results showed that Paul had mesothelioma of the pleura. In January 2018, Paul died, aged 80.
F Parkinson Limited admitted liability and Paul’s family have received a six-figure settlement.
Steven Dickens, asbestos claims solicitor at Leigh Day, said: “Paul regularly came into contact with asbestos while working at F Parkinson Limited as a joiner. Sadly, he died shortly after his diagnosis and did not see justice in his lifetime.
“Despite the exposure to asbestos having happened many years ago, the company was still trading and agreed to compensate Paul’s widow. We are pleased to have reached a settlement that can help to support Paul’s family in the years to come.”