Convicted burglar jailed after stealing £12k of jewellery

Convicted burglar jailed after stealing £12k of jewellery

by Tom Martin (July 2020)

A CONVICTED burglar from Bootle who went on a six week crime spree just weeks after being freed from jail has been put back behind bars.

A court heard that Adam Barnes acted out of desperation while on licence as he had nowhere to  live, money or support after being released.

After targeting properties in the Bootle area he broke into a house in Burscough and ransacked it, stealing £12,000 worth of irreplaceable antique jewellery as well as £3,000 worth of other items.

Jailing him for four years eight months a judge told the 33-year-old said that he had traumatised  the householders whose properties he had burgled with one no longer feeling safe in her own home.

Judge Denis Watson, QC pointed out, “Your apology will be considered rather hollow by the householders.”

Barnes, of Benedict Street, Bootle, had pleaded guilty to  four burglaries, two attempted burglaries and possessing an offensive weapon.

Iain Criddle, prosecuting, told Liverpool Crown Court that the defendant struck at a house on Hawthorne Avenue, Bootle, on the evening of January 21, leaving the householders and their one-year-old daughter terrified as he tried to smash through the porch.

Police were called and he was arrested nearby and found to be carrying a kitchen knife and some sweets which had earlier stolen from a nearby shop.

In a victim impact statement the woman occupant said that she had been left too scared to be alone at home and often had to call family round while her partner worked nights. They have also paid out more than £2,000 for CCTV, burglar alarms and repairs.

Barnes, 33, was initially released under investigation and went on to carry out a further spree before glass from his clothes was proved to match that from the broken window.

“On February 22, the alarm was activated at Hugh Baird College, Bootle. Entry was gained and damage was caused to two doors and two computers. CCTV showed the defendant slamming the door with a paving slab and climbing through the door,” said Mr Criddle.

He caused £5,000 worth of damage and he was identified by his blood left at the scene.

Barnes next struck as a house on Exeter Road, Bootle, where he tried to smash his way in, causing £450 worth of damage but was scared off when neighbours called police. He again left blood at the scene as he did at his next raid.

He smashed a door at the 3 mobile phone shop on Stanley Road and tried to steal phones but left empty handed.

Two days later, Barnes ransacked a home in Junction Lane, Burscough and stole antique jewellery, cash, a purse and a tablet computer. He even stole glucose reading equipment used by the diabetic homeowner. 

Her jewellery collection included antique items collected over 40 years as well as pieces inherited from her parents and grandparents. He also stole an electronic tablet containing photographs. “She has lost a physical reminder of precious life time memories and that will never be replaced,” said Mr Criddle.

His blood was found in various places in the house including the staircase, bannister, walls and carpets.

Barnes, who has a 32 previous convictions for more than 80 offences, initially denied the burglaries when questioned by police.

Peter Hunter, defending, said Barnes had been left homeless after his release from prison nd and acted out of desperation as he had been left walking the streets.

He said Barnes had managed to get his life back on track in the months between the offences and him being charged, finding work and rebuilding a relationship with his estranged parents.

 “The nature of the offences are not sophisticated, it starts with him stealing sweets just to eat.

It’s not a case of him stealing for a jolly, it was to live, to eat, to be warm.”

He said Barnes was ashamed and apologised to all his victims and accepted he was going to prison for a long time.

Search for news

Latest News