Man sentenced after setting off firework at Liver Building

Man sentenced after setting off firework at Liver Building

by Tom Martin (August 2020)

A YOUNG man from Scarisbrick has avoided a prison sentence after he set off a firework at the Liver Building and caused a reported £10,000 worth of damage.

Matthew Egglesden, 19, of Turning Lane, was sentenced at Liverpool Crown Court on Friday, August 21 when he was handed a 12 months' detention, suspended for 18 months, with a 15-day Rehabilitation Activity Requirement.

He was ordered to carry out 100 hours of unpaid work and to serve a three-month home curfew, from 8pm to 6am daily.

Egglesden will also need pay just over £3,000 in compensation to Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service and a further contribution of £3,000 towards the loss suffered by the Liver Building.

The Champion has reported how Egglesden was arrested after a widely-condemned celebration of Liverpool Football Club’s 19th league title win when thousands of people gathered at the city’s Pier Head in June.

In social media footage, Egglesden could be seen setting off fireworks and aiming them at the Liver Building.

Detective Chief Inspector Cheryl Rhodes said: “This was a disgraceful act, which could have had even more catastrophic consequences and was part of a wider gathering that night, which was marred by people intent on committing crime and anti-social behaviour.

“Egglesden will now hopefully reflect on the consequence of his actions. He caused significant damage, not only to an iconic building, but to his own future prospects, and to the reputation of this great city at a difficult time.

“Our efforts continue in identifying and putting before the courts each and every person who was involved in disorder and damage that night. A number of arrests have been made, and those people remain under investigation.

“During these difficult time, such gatherings put an unnecessary strain on our emergency services and could mean that we might not be able to get to other people who really need us. They also run the risk of increased lockdown measures. The time to celebrate fully will come again, and be well worth the wait.”

Mersey Fire Area Manager Gary Oakford said: “Not only did Mr Egglesden’s actions cause significant damage to one of the city’s most iconic buildings, but they also took valuable fire & rescue service resources away from attending other potentially life-threatening incidents. This was at a time when we and our blue light colleagues were already under extreme pressure as a result of the pandemic.

“Before you go out and carry out a crime like this or other anti-social behaviour, please think about the consequences of your actions – not just to yourself but to those around you. Now more than ever we all need to work together to protect the most vulnerable members of our communities and acts like this stop us from doing that.”

Search for news

Latest News