A CONTROVERSIAL plan to demolish an historic convalescence hospital in Waterloo built in 1878 and replace it with apartments has been rejected by the council.
Sefton Council has dismissed a proposal to tear down Park House, on Haigh Road, after a petition against the idea was backed by nearly 600 people.
Developers Anwyl Construction Company had wanted to build a huge mixed development of apartments and a care facility, which would be 142 residential units split between two separate blocks.
It was rejected at a recent Planning Committee meeting after the council sided with campaigners and decided that Park House was a “non-designated heritage asset”.
Other reasons for the rejection included a loss of trees and the “density of the development”.
A council report published after the decision states: “The proposal will result in the total loss of a non-designated heritage asset, which is contrary to the requirements of Local Plan Policy. The benefits arising from the proposal do not outweigh this significant harm and the proposal is therefore considered to be unacceptable as it is not sustainable development.
“The proposal will result in an unacceptable loss of existing trees within the site. The proposal will not contribute to protecting and enhancing our natural environment.
“The provision of up to 142 residential units within a 1.19ha site will be out of keeping with existing residential development within the immediate area through its density, scale and massing and as such does not respond positively to the character, local distinctiveness and form of its surroundings nor will it be sympathetic to local character and history.”
Park House was built in 1878 as a home for a wealthy Liverpool corn merchant before it was taken over in 1902 by the Augustinian Sisters Religious Order, who used it as a convalescence and nursing home.
Most recently, the building has been used as a guest house and convent, containing around 40 individual bedrooms and 12 reception rooms.