Unfortunately, due to the second national lockdown we will be pausing the printing of our papers for a few weeks. We will continue to bring you all the latest local news and more on our website and Facebook page. The Champion might not come through your door for a while, but we are still here for you. In the meantime, please stay safe and take great care of each other. Best wishes from your Champion Team.
Robbie owes his life to defib machine... now he wants to raise money to buy more!

Robbie owes his life to defib machine... now he wants to raise money to buy more!

by Tom Martin (October 2020)

AN Aintree man who  collapsed with a cardiac arrest but was saved by passers-by who used a nearby defibrillator, is raising funds to buy more of the vital machines.

In 2016, Robby Eaves, 55, suffered a heart attack and a bleed on the brain when he fell on  Ormskirk Road.

He  was rushed to hospital where he was placed in a coma for six days, but thankfully he was able to make a full recovery despite the seriousness of his condition.

Robby believes he wouldn’t be here today if it wasn’t for the quick-thinking of passers-by who managed to locate a nearby defibrillator and used it before the paramedics arrived to take over. Robby is now fundraising to help pay for more defibrillators which will be placed around the Aintree and north Liverpool area.

Continued inside

From page 1

After joining a group called Defibrillator Fundraising Orrell Park, together the members have raised £7,371, which is enough for five defibrillators.

Robby’s daughter, Katie Eaves, said: “Over the past year or so my dad became part of a group in our local community who set out to raise money for a defibrillator to be fitted on Walton Vale. It was a group of people made up from the local area, mainly Orrell Park and surrounding areas. 

“They exceeded their expectations massively and have raised enough money for five defibrillators in total! A couple of them have already been fitted around the area.

“When he collapsed, a few passers-by stopped to help with one of them running to get the nearest defibrillator. This saved his life and without it he wouldn't be here now. It took three shocks to get him back again!

“Without the defibrillator he wouldn't be here and as soon as he heard the group was forming he wanted to help as much as he could to raise money for a local defibrillator.

“My dad would like to thank Sue Benson, the woman who started the defibrillator fundraising group and also Gary Chase, who was the first man who stopped as soon as my dad collapsed, and everyone else who stopped too!”

Search for news

Latest News