Following the Government’s announcement that the Liverpool City Region will be placed in Tier 2 restrictions from this Tuesday (December 2) Merseyrail will be increasing its services on parts of the network from this Saturday (December 5).
Services between Liverpool Central and Southport will be increased to a 15-minute frequency Monday to Saturday, with trains continuing to operate every 30 minutes on Sundays.
The timetable across the rest of the Merseyrail network continues to operate as follows:
• Ormskirk line – every 30 minutes Monday to Sunday
• Kirkby line – every 30 minutes Monday to Sunday
• Hunts Cross line – every 30 minutes Monday to Sunday
• Chester and Ellesmere Port lines – every 30 minutes Monday to Sunday (15-minute service between Hooton and Liverpool)
• West Kirby and New Brighton lines – every 30 minutes Monday to Sunday (15-minute service between Birkenhead North and Liverpool)
Services between Southport and Hunts Cross will terminate at Liverpool Central, meaning passengers will not be able to travel directly between the stations and will have to change at Liverpool Central. Ormskirk trains will start and terminate at Hunts Cross.
From December 2, government-issued travel advice is that passengers can travel with confidence by following the advice below.
• Avoid peak travel if you can (between 07:00-09:30 and 16:00-18:30)
• Allow extra time for your journey
• Face coverings must be worn at all times at stations or on trains, unless exempt. Maximum fines of £6,400 can be issued by British Transport Police for those refusing to comply
• Use contactless payments where possible
• Wash or sanitise hands as soon as possible before and after travel
• Remain seated where you can
• Maintain social distancing where possible
• Follow advice from staff and be considerate to other passengers
• Do not use public transport if you, or a member of your household, has COVID-19 symptoms or you have been instructed to self-isolate
• Aim to reduce the number of journeys you make where possible.
Full timetable information and COVID-19 travel advice can be found here: www.merseyrail.org/COVIDAdvice. Further information on government guidance and restrictions can be found at www.gov.uk.
Passengers who would prefer to travel on six-car carriages can visit this webpage to check which services are operating as six-cars in advance: https://www.merseyrail.org/6cars.