Due to the latest national lockdown we will be pausing the printing of our papers for a while. We will continue to bring you all the latest local news and more on our website and Facebook page. The Champion might not come through your door for a while, but we are still here for you. In the meantime, please stay home, stay safe, protect the NHS and take great care of each other. Best wishes from your Champion Team.
Care homes to get share of £15m fund to help reduce spread of virus

Care homes to get share of £15m fund to help reduce spread of virus

by Henry James (December 2020)

CARE homes, supported living providers and organisations in Lancashire that support people with complex needs are being given extra funding to help reduce the spread of Covid-19.

The Government has provided a £14.8m Infection Control Grant to Lancashire County Council to fund a range of measures to ensure adults still get the care they need and can stay in contact with friends and family throughout the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

80% of the funding must go to care homes, supported living services, day services and domiciliary care services. Lancashire County Council is using some of the remaining 20% of the funding to top up the money it gives to these services.

It has also decided to provide £308,000 to domestic abuse refuges, substance misuse residential and detox units supported accommodation for people with very complex needs and other accommodation where care is provided for people on structured support plans.

The funding will cover the costs of putting additional measures in place to ensure these services operate in a Covid-secure way.

These measures include deep cleans, supporting staff that need to self-isolate, making structural adaptations to ensure people can visit safely, covering travel costs, measures to help reduce movement of staff between care venues and recruitment funding.

County Councillor Graham Gooch, cabinet member for adult services, said: “This much-needed funding is helping adult care and health providers cover the costs of the measures they need to put in place to help prevent the spread of coronavirus.

“The pandemic has been very challenging for these organisations, who continue to do a superb job giving people the care and support they need, while acting responsibly to put infection control measures in place.

“Most of the funding must rightly go to care homes, domiciliary services, day services and supported living to help them with the vital work they do.”

Search for news

Latest News