A predatory paedophile, who was a home house master at a Merseyside children’s home, has been put back behind bars for abusing a boy in his care.
The paedophile was jailed for 13 years in 1996 for sexually abusing seven boys at St Vincents’ Children’s Home in Formby.
Another of his victims has since come forward to tell of his ordeal and on Monday, May 17, a judge put him back in jail for three and a half years.
Liverpool Crown Court heard that the victim, who is now 54, was so terrified of Edward Stanton, who he described as ‘controlling and frightening’ that he often absconded as he felt he had nowhere to run and would sleep in the cold which he felt was safer than being at the home.
He tells in his victim impact statement how he feels his life has been ruined, said David Polglase, prosecuting.
The man, who was a vulnerable 13 -year-old when he fell into Stanton’s predatory clutches, had come from a poor dysfunctional family. “He expected to be taken to a place of safety and caring environment but instead was subject to sexual abuse.”
Stanton, of Earle Road, Wavertree, Liverpool, had denied two offences of indecent assault which happened in 1981 but was convicted after a trial.
The court heard that Stanton was jailed in 2013 and 2016 for indecent images offences and again in 2018 for breaching a Sexual Offences Prevention Order.
Judge Robert Trevor-Jones told 69-year-old Stanton, “You forced your victim to undergo again a renewed ordeal by attending court and giving evidence and being branded a liar in the process.”
He said the offences involved, “two separate assaults on different dates committed by you when you were a house master in the residential home St Vincent’s so you in particular were trusted in respect of the pastoral care of the boys. Clearly that is what you completely breached when you committed these offences.”
He told Stanton, “Your predatory conduct was so out of control. You received a significant sentence back in 1996. Since then despite that sentence you have come back to court for sexual offending relating to indecent images of children.”
He said it revealed “how entrenched your perverted attitudes are.”
The court heard how the new offences came to light after the victim confided in his wife which led to the police being informed in 2017 and Stanton’s arrest in 2018.
The conviction of Stanton in 1996 followed a major investigation into child abuse in childrens’ homes on Merseyside codenamed Operation Care.