PHILLIPPA Williamson has been installed as the new leader of Lancashire County Council.
She was voted in at the first face-to-face meeting of the authority at County Hall, Preston in 15 months.
Councillor Williamson, leader of the Conservative group and county councillor for the Lancaster Rural North electoral division, replaces Geoff Driver. Geoff Driver who stepped down as leader of the Tory group and of the county council, before the recent local elections.
Prior to this month’s election, Councillor Williamson served as the cabinet member for children, young people and schools.
As council leader, Councillor Williamson appoints her cabinet, which is responsible for day-to-day decision making across the full range of county council services and makes recommendations on policy, strategy and budget issues to the full council.
Councillor Williamson said: “I am looking forward to serving the people of Lancashire in my new role as leader of the council.
“The past year has been exceptionally tough for everyone because of the Covid-19 pandemic.
“Lancashire is a fantastic place to live, work and do business.
“We are really well placed as the economy bounces back and with my cabinet, I am determined to help us recover and prosper.
“Attracting inward investment, helping create jobs and opportunities whilst delivering better services and protecting our environment, are our priorities.
“I will be working closely with colleagues across the County Council, with district councils, MPs and others, to deliver on these commitments.
“Over the past four years we have put the council on a stable financial footing. We have balanced the books, delivered services residents value, and prioritised support for the most vulnerable. I will be working hard to continue to do this.”
In addition to the appointment of the new leadership, the full council meeting also saw the announcement of County Councillor Barrie Yates as its new chairman and County Councillor Peter Britcliffe as vice chairman.
The county council’s cabinet are:
- County Councillor Alan Vincent, deputy leader with responsibility for resources, hr and property (county councillor for Cleveleys South & Carleton)
- County Councillor Peter Buckley, cabinet member for community and cultural services (St Anne North)
- County Councillor Charlie Edwards, cabinet member for highways and transport (Morecambe South)
- County Councillor Graham Gooch, cabinet member for adult services (South Ribble West)
- County Councillor Michael Green, cabinet member for health and wellbeing (Moss Side & Farington)
- County Councillor Jayne Rear, cabinet member for education and skills (Leyland South)
- County Councillor Aidy Riggott, cabinet member for Economic Development and Growth (county councillor for Euxton, Buckshaw & Astley)
- County Councillor Cosima Towneley, cabinet member for children and families (Burnley Rural)
- County Councillor Shaun Turner, cabinet member for environment and climate change (Wyre Rural East).