A THREE-YEAR-OLD girl has died after choking at Aintree’s Asda on Ormskirk Road.
Emergency services were called to the store following the incident at about 8.50pm on Tuesday, August 10.
The girl was taken by ambulance to Alder Hey Children’s Hospital but died a short time later.
A spokesman for Merseyside Police said: “We can confirm that emergency services were in Aintree following an incident on Tuesday, August 10.
“At around 9.50pm, the ambulance service informed Merseyside Police that they had earlier attended reports of a three year-old girl choking inside Asda on Ormskirk Road.
“The child was taken to hospital but sadly pronounced dead a short time later. The family are being supported by officers at this sad time.
“A file is in the process of being prepared for the coroner.”
A spokesman for the North West Ambulance Service NHS Trust commented: “Two emergency ambulances and a member of our Hazardous Area Response Team (HART) responded to a 999 call that a child was suffering a medical emergency at ASDA on Ormskirk Road, Aintree.
“The call was made at 8.48pm on Tuesday, August 10, with paramedics arriving on the scene within nine minutes. The patient was transported to Alder Hey Children’s Hospital.”
An Asda spokesperson added: “We are shocked and saddened by this incident and send our deepest condolences to the little girl’s family.
“We are grateful to colleagues who provided immediate assistance in store and will do whatever we can to support them.”