WEST Lancashire residents have been reminded by firefighters to ‘stay there and cook it’, in an effort to reduce kitchen blazes.
Lancashire Fire & Rescue Service (LFRS) say that around half of all accidental house blazes that fire and rescue services attend each year are cooking related fires.
Research carried out by Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service shows most cooking fires were caused by the person becoming distracted by something in the home, with 119 cooking fires caused by distractions in 2020.
Whether it’s a misbehaving dog, a phone call or the kid’s homework, simple distractions can have devastating effects when cooking.
Group Manager Kirsty McCreesh, the Prevention lead for Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service said: “Our data shows that cooking fires can happen to anyone, they are the most common type of fires in people’s homes that we attend and we want to see the number significantly reduced and an end to injuries.
“There are plenty of simple things that people can do to drastically reduce the chance that they will have a cooking fire and these include staying with cooking, not getting distracted and keeping the hob and surrounding area clean and clear. Make sure that you have working smoke alarms and, should a fire occur, get out, stay out and call us out.”
For further advice and guidance on fire safety in the home, including cooking safety, please visit: www.lancsfirerescue.org.uk/cooking.